Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Night At The Opera

Last night, I got to see "Madama Butterfly". This is a new production done by Anthony Minghella, the same man who directed "The English Patient" and 'The Talented Mr. Ripley", both films that I loved. I am not a fan of opera, I think I've seen only one opera in my life before last night. A friend got tickets as a birthday gift for himself and he decided to treat me to some opera.

First of all, I wore one of my LBD's (little black dress), so nice to get all dolled up : ) It was such a shock to see how casually people dress to go to the opera. I never thought I'd see people dressed in blue jeans to see an opera.

Getting back to the show, the story of "Madama Butterfly" is fascinating; it is one of the most tragic stories around. The costumes were beautiful, and the singing was astounding. I can't imagine how much training one must undergo in order to become an opera singer. There were 3 acts, Act I and Act II Part i and Act II Part ii. Before Act II part i, there was a technical glitch and before Act II part ii, the lead singer fell ill and couldn't finish the part so the understudy finished up the show. It was very dis-jarring to see a different person play Madama Butterfly. Even with the unexpected mishaps, I enjoyed seeing this opera. This is high praise coming from someone who dislikes opera. If you want to take someone who has never seen an opera before, I would suggest taking him/her to Madama Butterfly.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ahuva said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:38 PM

 
Blogger Ahuva said...

You're in the NY/NJ area; it seems like theater buffs are VERY casual dressers there. For a moment I thought we had seen the same production; it's playing in my area as well. But even here, you'll see the students in jeans. Why don't you like the opera?

6:43 PM

 
Blogger justanotherSWJF said...

Ahuva

It's not so much that I don't like opera, it's more that I haven't really seen operas. I did see one opera prior to Madama Butterfly and I wasn't impressed. I couldn't understand what was going on, and I was sitting in nosebleed seats. Now I feel that I would be more open to seeing operas, I think I would enjoy seeing La Boheme.

9:28 AM

 
Blogger Ahuva said...

Nosebleed seats are definitely a problem. La Boheme is on on my list to see too... if they ever put it on here (or if I can figure out a way to make a day trip to NY work).

5:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home