Sunday, January 07, 2007

Downtown MacBeth

Last night, a friend invited me to see an off-off-off Broadway production of Macbeth that was playing downtown. The last time I read MacBeth was in high school, so as you can imagine, it has been a long time since I've had any exposure to that play.

The theatre was on MacDougal St., it's called Manhattan Theatre Source. The venue was awesome, there was a cafe downstairs and a performance space upstairs. The play was sold out; the theatre was very small, a 50 seat theatre, seats on either side raised up from the stage. Every seat was basically a good seat.

All the actors were superb, I was drawn into the play like it was my first time. I was able to look at MacBeth with new eyes, seeing how power can corrupt anyone. I can't help but think that this really applies to current times. January 27th is the last day so if you are up for a new twist on Shakespeare, this is your play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home