Thursday, February 01, 2007

Thoughts on Tu B'Shevat

The next 'holiday' on the Jewish calendar is Tu B'Shevat, aka as the New Year for Trees, which is coming up this weekend. Around this time of year, the trees begin to bloom in Israel. You know that spring is coming, the days are getting longer, and the temperatures should be getting a little warmer (unless you live in the New York area, better yet most of the US). We eat alot of fruit, specifically fruit grown in the land of Israel.

For those of us who don't live in Israel, this holiday is one more way to connect to Israel. Even though I have family in Israel, I sometimes feel such a disconnect. Sometimes I get so caught up in my own life in the US that I don't pay as much attention as I should to what is happening in Israel. Celebrating Tu B'Shevat is one way that I can show that Israel is on my mind. I was invited to a special seder for the holiday on Saturday night. I have not been to a special seder for Tu B'Shevat in 4 years, and am eagerly looking forward to going to this seder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home