Thursday, April 12, 2007

Back to Reality

Passover 2007 (or 5767 depending on what calendar you go by) is over and I am very happy about that. I was getting very sick of matzah by the end of the holiday.

The last two days were a blur of good food and great conversation with old and new friends. One discussion I remember in particular was talking about faith vs. trust. I went to services at the Chabad house in my neighborhood and the rabbi talked about the parting of the Red Sea, specificially the reactions of the Jewish people. I apologize if I get parts of the story mixed up. Some of the people were scared and panicked, they wanted to go back to Egypt even though they were slaves there and were treated horribly. Others prayed to G-d with all their heart and soul; G-d told Moses that the Jewish people should not be afraid, they should just go forward and G-d will take care of the rest.

With the rabbi's words in mind, my friend brought up the question of whether it is better to have faith or trust in G-d. I was puzzled by this question; initially I thought they were the same thing. A woman at our table brought up a small but interesting distinction between faith and trust; she opined that if you have faith in G-d you believe that things will be okay, if you have trust in G-d, you believe that things are already okay. I really liked her answer so with that in mind, I bless all my readers with having trust in G-d.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ahuva said...

What a nice thought. Thanks!

6:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home