Sunday, April 29, 2007

News Flash: You Have To Think Before You Speak

Now that Imus-gate is just about over, I can sort out my thoughts about this whole situation. Being a Rutgers alum, I will not pretend to be objective in my analysis.

When I learned that Don Imus was fired, I thought to myself "he didn't get fired just for that Rutgers comment". He has made a career of saying insensitive things about people. It is inevitable that one day his time would run out. The sad thing is I mostly knew of him for his shocking remarks. I had no idea that he and his wife ran a summer camp for kids with cancer. I hope he will take more care with his words in the future so that the good things he does stand out more than the bad.

This should provide ample warning for all of us concerning our speech; even celebrities have to pay the consequences for their actions. In his case, his punishment was aired in public. For non-celebrities, we face our punishment in private but nevertheless our actions come back to haunt us if we're not careful.

On a better note, I admire how the Rutgers womens' basketball team handled the situation. I don't think I would have been so mature if I had to handle this kind of situation as an 18-20 year old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home